Monday, May 10, 2010

The Most Simple Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive...

 After getting a netbook, the first thing that I did, was check to see what could be improved. The Asus 1005HAB came standard with WinXP, 1GB RAM(2GB max), a 160GB hard drive, and that's about it.

 I like Linux. A LOT. I've worked primarily on a history of Microsoft based machines. From 3.1 up to Windows 7, and quite a few between those. Linux has me, for a wide variety of reasons. Price(FREE), ease of install, tools, free programs, multiple desktops, etc.

 I currently have a dual-boot Sony Vaio laptop sitting atop my desk, running Linux Mint 8, and Windows 7. The netbook, has XP on it, and I would like to create a Linux install, but I want to be able to use both computers, not losing a thing, if I switch.

Things Needed:
USB Flash Drive(Recommended +2GB)
Linux Mint(or Your choice of any other Linux)
USB Installer(from PenDriveLinux.com)
Five minutes of your time.

Step One:
 Download the two files linked above.
Step Two:
 Install USB Drive(USB Installer won't detect it unless you put it in beforehand.) Run USB Installer. Click "I Agree." Select "Linux Mint 8" (or other distribution) from the dropdown list. You should know where your Linux ISO was downloaded, select the ISO in the area below. Check the box to format the drive.
Step Three:
 Click "Create" and it should finish in less than five minutes.


 One of the benefits of having a Live install, is that you can take it with you, and boot off of it on almost any computer. Linux Mint 8 has what is called the "Persistent Feature," which allows you to save most of your changes.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment